Burnside Bibs

I was soooooo excited about this pattern! As I mentioned in my plans for 2018 post this was given to me as a competition prize. I had seen it in magazines and thought the pattern really interesting however it costs around £20 for the pattern alone which I feel is on the high side. But winning it felt like a dream come true and I knew it would be at the top of my sewing list!

I found the fabric on Lichfield Market and immediately fell in love, thinking it would be perfect for this pattern. It's a beautiful dark, dark grey (possibly black) with tiny black velvet polka dots. It's possibly a wool blend (I'm useless at fabric types), not too thick but is a good weight for a winter make so I had to have it. It cost £3.99 per metre and this required 3m, although once I got to cutting it out I think I could have gotten away with 2.5m.

The instructions are detailed which is good because there are plenty of them! This is not a quick make. Obviously there are options, like different bib styles, trouser lengths, pockets and different belt tieing options but I decided to go for the lot! A long length trouser with pockets - front and back - and a curved bib.

In the two versions of the pattern there are 16 pattern pieces in total to cut out but I only needed 12 for version 2. I hate cutting out fabric because I'm usually crawling around on the floor and my knees can't take it! I decided to take my time and carefully pin the pieces because there were four long thin strips which would probably move around under the pattern weights I normally use.

In the end it didn't take me as long as I expected and with my new scissors this fabric was a dream to cut out!

Then I started preparing the front pockets and pocket facing by zig-zagging the edges. I did the same to the front leg pieces.

Adding the facing, turning it in and top stitching gives it a really clean look.

Then I top stitched them to the front leg pieces. This is it all finished, not that you can tell! That's why I put the pattern in the pocket!

Then the two front legs are attached at the front crotch (I'm sure there's a more delicate/professional word for it) and the front bib is attached with waistband.

Then I had to turn my attention to the back trouser pieces and back pockets. These were easy enough. Lots of ironing edges under and pinning in place.

Then the back legs are attached to the front legs and it's starting to come together! I then made the straps and ties which was fiddly but not hard. These were sewn to the front bib and the bib facing was attached.

There are six belt loops along the back to catch the ties and gather in the waistline. Making these was quite fun!

Bur attaching them was a bit boring!

And last but not least - hemming the legs. This is a pic on me trying them on to check the length. Clearly I'm a lot shorter than most people!!!

Sorry about some of the photos in this post, I do a lot of my sewing in the evenings and the light isn't great for taking photos, especially on this fabric. You'll also see from a previous post that I entered this garment into the Dressmaker of the Year competition. I chose this one because I think it is the most professionally finished of my recent makes. It's so comfortable and while not the quickest make, I think I'll have a couple more in my wardrobe please!