SC Design Team - Project 11

Hi there, so I'm back with my first SCDT project of 2021 and, after a slow start to the year, my sewjo is back up and running again!

Sammy has recently had quite a few new fabrics arrive into the shop and lucky us for getting the pick of the bunch! Something I've been wanting to make for a while now is the Style Arc Blaire Shirt Dress and when I saw this lovely red and black check cotton twill I couldn't resist.

It is so soft and almost has a brushed cotton feel to it. It's light and drapey and washes and irons well.

Now then... I think we first need to address the elephant in the room... pattern matching. Lets just say I tried! I know I didn't do a great job but I really did try, promise! What I've realised is that I would have been better to cut it out on the flat so I could see where all the checks are lining up, but I didn't. I just tried to fold it so everything was straight and then cut on the fold. I'm lazy. Lets move on.

So I've made the shirt version a couple of times. Generally it's not difficult but, if you've sewn any Style Arc patterns before, you'll know they're stingy with the instructions and they also skip steps like how to best sew a curved hem and stay-stitching necklines, which in this case is vital. I had to use the instructions again as the dress is constructed slightly different to the shirt. The top comes together very easily and quickly. The bottom half is almost entirely constructed before attaching it to the top. I was eager to try out this pocket design but now that it's finished I've realised that the bottom of the pocket bag is very low. If I pop my phone in there it's banging around my knees! They're a great design feature but I'm not sure they'll get used that much!

Then the top is sewn to the bottom and the button plackets are added before the collar. Attaching the collar is always a little challenging with this pattern as the fabric at the back neckline needs easing in (not that they mention this in the instructions!). This time I decided to leave the collar off and stick with the collar stand. I hand stitched the inside of the collar on to keep it neat and tidy. This might be the most beautiful collar I've ever sewn!

I used a Change Maker label in the back and how cool does that look?! These are available from the shop and all profits from sales go to a monthly nominated charity with an emphasis on tackling social and environmental injustice.

I should have picked some buttons from Sam's shop but when I ordered the fabric I totally forgot. She has a huge selection of fantastic buttons but in the end I ordered a bag of simple black ones from Amazon.

Overall I love this, it's such an easy wear both layered up in the cooler months and on it's own in the summer. Special thanks to my son for taking the photos and not noticing for the entire shot that I'd put a hair clip on my sleeve! Thanks for the fabric, Sammy, I know I'm gonna get a lot of wear out of this one!

Fabric gifted in return for a blog post. Buttons and label purchased.