Hello again! I'm back with another project, and one which I think should bring a smile to anyones face! I mean, just look at this fabric, it's the perfect combo of rainbow and animal print, right up my alley!
This time around I had trouble choosing a project so I went to my pattern box and searched for ideas. The pattern I settled on was S8889, a Mimi G for Simplicity shirt with a hi-lo front and hidden button placket. This way I could go for any number of the amazing cottons that Sammy has in stock.
This cotton is the perfect weight for this shirt. For some reason I thought the animal print would be larger but I love how the dainty nature of it tones down the rainbow.
I prewashed the fabric, obviously, and it shrunk by 1.5cm but I knew I had more than enough for the project, in fact, with some clever pattern placement, I ended up getting the whole shirt out of just over 1m. I didn't consider stripe placement because there were too many pieces including plackets which I'd never done before but I think it worked out well in the end. I did make the effort to match the breast pocket and I'm so pleased, it's practically invisible!!!
Construction was relatively straight forward, and made easier because the fabric wasn't a shifty viscose! I lengthened the front by 5cms and I think I could do with lengthening it a bit more! The deep hem facing worked well and I love the shape it gives. The sleeves and collar went in well and the instructions for the button placket were good - only once did I have cause to scratch my head! Over all it was a really pleasant project to sew! This shirt makes me smile whenever I look at it, and I love that in my clothes! So go make a rainbow shirt for your wardrobe right now!!!
Thanks Sammy for the beautiful fabric!