For my second project for the Samantha Claridge Studio blog (previously Sew Crafty Design Team) I thought I'd go for a garment this time and chose the Pattern Emporium Make it Happen Hi-lo top. I won this pattern back in March when it was released and I've been itching to make it ever since, but it's not particularly UK winter appropriate (PE is an Australian brand)! But I figured that if I wait for a sunny day I could be waiting a long time! Turns out we've had a few good ones lately!
First off, I would absolutely recommend this company. I love this pattern and most Pattern Emporium patterns I've seen have multiple options which is great as it gives you so much variety for different styles. This top comes in three different lengths, two different back versions, 3 sleeve options, two neckline heights and two front lengths... phew! I went for the high neck, one piece back, maxi length with dolman sleeves and regular front length. This required 2.5 metres of woven fabric so I chose the blush leopard stretch cotton because, well, I can't resist an animal print!
The pattern consists of two pieces with an additional sleeve overlay and a piece for making the neck binding. Simple!
The fabric washed and ironed well. Being cotton it cut like butter! It's not a heavy cotton and it has a decent drape to it. It's also got a sight sateen-like sheen to it which makes it feel lovely but I wouldn't describe it as a 'stretch' fabric as it's only got 3% elastane and this doesn't really give it any stretch just a little bit of give.
The instructions are brilliant and the top came together really quickly, in only a couple of hours, and most of that was spent at the ironing board doing the bound neckline and turning up the miles of hemline! But the fabric was beautiful to sew and did what it was told when ironed! I would have liked to finish the insides with french seams but the seam allowance was only 1cm so I just zig zagged the exposed seams to neaten them up. My only negative comment about that pattern was that there was a fair amount of fabric waste because of the way the main pieces were cut on the fold, but I've obviously saved the remnants and can probably piece together something for my daughter at a later date. Next time I might size down as this one feels a bit wide across the chest.
Please excuse the windy day photos! I love the finished look, it feels a bit 'extra' with it being so long and flowy - I've even had a few comments in the school playground! And the fabric helps! I'm really looking forward to wearing it when we get some warmer weather but in the mean time I might make a couple more!
The fabric was gifted to me in return for my blog post.