Sew Together For Summer 2018

This is an annual event run by Monika, Suzy and Sarah where people are invited to make a particular style of garment and possibly win some fantastic prizes - but it's not a competition just a fun thing for the sewing community. Last year it was a shirt dress and this year it's a wrap dress, but any kind of wrap dress so you can choose one thats right for you. I used to wear a lot of wrap dresses but not so much recently so maybe this will see them return to my wardrobe!

I had a few in mind for a while but I felt the McCalls was speaking to me! And considering the challenge was for the summer I went for a more summery pattern. I found this pattern for half price on Minerva Crafts and bought the fabric at the same time. I got two metres of an animal print crepe for £4.99pm to make the sleeveless version A and was really excited for it to arrive... but then I received an email from Minerva saying they only had two metres left and they came in two 1 metre pieces and was I happy to receive that. I decided to go for it and if I couldn't get the dress out of it I would just use it for another project.

When the pattern arrived I cut it straight out and realised most of it could be cut out fine except for the long waist ties that needed to be approx 1.25m in length (which I was doing in the same fabric instead of a contrast), however I decided I would be happy to just add a bit to the end and make it work.

I then had to wait to start it as I had another project on the go which I really needed to get finished (otherwise it would just have been another to add to the WIP pile!!!).

Once I started it was fairly simple to put together. I often don't follow the instructions to the letter and with this pattern I just started by doing some of the simple jobs like attaching front to back skirt pieces, darts in the front bodice pieces and gathering stitches on the back bodice piece. I do most of my sewing in the evening when the kids are in bed but if I have 10 minutes during the day this is the kind of thing I'll do to make progress.

The bodice came together quite quickly then I had to attach the lined neckband. This took a bit of brain power and it isn't as cleanly finished as I'd like, but it was so fiddly that I am happy to leave it as it is.

I finished the skirt hem and sides with bias binding in an attempt to keep it neat.

I really like this dress but in hindsight I think the fabric choice could have been better. The crepe is quite thick and bulks out the neckline. There is also something wrong with the top as it only just covers my bust and I don't have massive boobs! I have had to put a press stud in the centre to hold it together because if I sat down it gaped horrendously. I love the design of this dress and would love to make another but need to figure out how to fix this issue first. I've just been given the Butterick pattern above so maybe I'll try that one first!